Thursday, August 23, 2012

Communication in Marriage: How about an App for that?


(Email)

To:  Diane 
From:  Tony

did you take care of that rsvp?

From:  Diane  
To:  Tony

Hi, honey!  How’s your day going?  I’m good – thanks for asking!  Stacked with the usual round of posts, articles, blogs and web content, and I dropped off the kids to school in tears after one of them told me I was the meanest mom ever.  But overall, I'm good!

Anyway – no, I hadn’t taken care of the RSVP.  But I’ll do it right now.  Have a great day!

Love,
Smoopie
(That’s our nickname for each other. Remember?  From Seinfeld?  Those were the days, watching TV on Thursday nights for three blissful hours back in the days before our "babies" took over the roost.  And I'd never go back.   But I digress!)

So you get the gist of the problem here.  Yes – the word count in my response email weighs in by just a few more than my husband’s.  Even in the beginning my beloved warned me he didn't, "give good phone," and I admit, he doesn’t like email much better.  To him, such media is simply a delivery system for critical information – just the facts, ma’am.  For me, they’re opportunities to connect.  Talk.  Share. 

Guys – are you laughing?  Ladies – can you relate?  (Not to be sexist.  It’s just that I find most women yearn for a bit more conversation then their beaus.)

After reading my response, my hubby didn’t get mad per se, but he did gather the men folk in his office to dissect our communication conundrum.  And, devoted problem solvers, they devised what is sure to be the next big buzz in technology – an APP that tailors email communication between spouses automatically.  Brilliant! (I really do love that guy!)

So, for example, the APP would add a bit more text to my husband’s original email.  Something like this, Hi, honey – how’s your day going?  By the way – LOVED your curried chicken last night – thanks!  Hey - did you get a chance to send in the RSVP?  Thanks.  I love you, and hey, let me manage homework tonight.   You get the idea.

Conversely, the APP would remove some of my wording.  You know – just deliver the facts.  That’s all my hubby really wants to know.  So the APP would parse my text to read, Hi – didn’t get to it; but I will.  Oh – and I’m open to the idea of sex later.

Now that would be an email my husband would love.  Do you think he’d even need an APP to respond to that one properly??

What about you?  Would you buy the APP?  And what would you name it?  Share your ideas with me!

Timeless Wisdom:  "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."  Proverbs 25:11

No comments:

Post a Comment